Report road and pavement problems

You can contact us to report road damage, street issues or flooding. You can tell us about potholes, abandoned vehicles, streetlights and highway obstructions. We have information about our highway inspections and road maintenance programme.

Report a pothole, or a road or pavement defect Toggle accordion

Potholes and damaged roads can be dangerous for motorists and cyclists. We are responsible for potholes and other defects on local roads and pavements. 

You can use our online form to report a pothole. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don’t have one, you can register for My Account.

Report a pothole or highway defect

Report a defect on A12, A13 or A406

TfL manages 3 A roads in the borough: A12, A13 and A406 (North Circular). Roadworks and street faults on these roads should be reported to TfL.

Report roadworks and street faults to TFL

Report a faulty street light Toggle accordion

Street lighting

We look after most street lights in the borough. We are not responsible for street lights in unadopted roads or private roads. These are the responsibility of the private landlord or housing trust.

When you tell us about a faulty street light, you should tell us the street or road name and the house or property nearest to the light. Street lighting columns are numbered so, if you can, give us the lamp column number (this will be a number such as A01 and it will be about 3 metres up the column).

Use our form to report faulty lights.

Report a faulty street light

Repairs to normal faults will be completed within 5 working days of the contractor receiving the information. For emergency situations the contractor will be on site within 2 hours of the report.

For situations where there is a greater risk of danger but it's not an emergency (for example there's a problem with lights on pedestrian crossings, busy road junctions or flights of steps), attendance on site will be arranged within 24 hours.

Traffic lights

Traffic lights are the responsibility of Transport for London, which has a form for reporting street issues, including faulty traffic lights. Select Traffic lights and signals from the drop-down list under What's your enquiry about?

Report faulty traffic lights

Report an abandoned vehicle Toggle accordion

Removal of abandoned vehicles

We remove any vehicle abandoned in the open air or on any part of the highway, free of charge. However, we may charge a landowner to remove an abandoned vehicle from a hard-to-access area.

A vehicle is considered to be abandoned if:

  • it has not been moved for at least 6 weeks
  • it is in poor condition, such as having flat tyres, or litter has built up under the vehicle
  • there is evidence of damage, such as poor body work or broken windows

Report an abandoned vehicle

You can help us keep the borough looking clean and tidy and our streets clear by reporting abandoned vehicles.using our form. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have one, you can register for My Account.

Report an abandoned vehicle

You should have the following information to hand when you contact us:

  • the make and model of the abandoned vehicle
  • its colour
  • its registration number
  • its exact location
  • supporting evidence of abandonment

We aim to inspect abandoned vehicles within 5 working days of being notified.

Untaxed vehicles

The enforcement of untaxed vehicles rests exclusively with the DVLA, which has a form to report a vehicle you suspect as being untaxed.

Report an untaxed vehicle

Local authorities can only deal with untaxed vehicles when they have received permission to do so from the DVLA.

Wheel-clamping or the removal of untaxed vehicles is deferred until they have been without tax for at least 2 months and one day.

Report flooding, sewer, gully or drain problems Toggle accordion

Flooding on council property

If you want to report a blocked sewer or drain on council property, you should call housing repairs and maintenance on 020 8592 7388 or email the team at

Flooding on private property

If your property is privately owned (homeowner or landlord) and your drain or sewer is overflowing, you need to arrange for a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. If there is flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework, you need to contact a plumber.

Public sewers

To report an overflowing public sewer, contact Thames Water online, or call 0845 920 0800.

Flooding from a burst water main

The local water supply company is Essex and Suffolk Water,responsible for its supply up to and including the water stopcock.

Call 0800 526 337 to report a leak or flood from a burst water main.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency. Contact Floodline to report flooding from a main river.


0345 988 1188

Floodline type talk (for the hard of hearing)

0345 602 6340

Flooding on public highways and in gullies

A highway gully is a drainage pit usually covered by an open metal grating at the edge of the road. Its purpose is to drain rainwater from the highway into the sewerage system.

Blocked gullies 

If a gully appears to be blocked after heavy rain, give it some time for the water to drain away before reporting it. If it is blocked after a while, then you can report it.

If you report a blocked gully, defects that are hazardous or serious will be prioritised. Hazardous defects will be repaired within 24 hours and serious defects will be repaired within 7 days.

Hazardous defects in gullies

If a blocked drain or gully has flooded the public highway, we’ll aim to clear it within 24 hours of your report to us.

If a gully's cover is damaged or missing, we’ll make it safe within 24 hours of your report.

Other gully defects

We aim to repair other defects that are not serious or hazardous within 28 working days. We don’t have the resources to repair every defect within that timescale, so we prioritise the more serious and potentially dangerous defects.

Report an issue with a gully

Report a dangerous road junction Toggle accordion

To report a junction that you feel is dangerous, or if you feel speed restriction measures need to be implemented on a certain road, you can contact the Road Safety Team at

Report illegal front garden parking Toggle accordion

Report illegal front garden parking

It is an offence under Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980 to drive a vehicle across the kerb and pavement (footway) to gain access to a property if a properly constructed dropped kerb is not in place.

You can report illegal front garden parking online and you need to be signed in to your My Account to do so. If you don’t have one, you can create a My Account.

Report illegal front garden parking

Report a problem with a road sign Toggle accordion

To report a faulty or missing street name plate or road sign, call us on 020 8215 3005 or email

To report a vandalised or missing speed limit sign, contact the Road Safety Team at

Website feedback

How can we improve this page? Use our form to tell us about content or broken links.

This form is not for telling us about council service issues, it's only about this webpage. Contact us if you have a comment or complaint.