Report dumped rubbish (fly-tipping)

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of rubbish in a public space or leaving it on land without the owner’s permission. It’s become an increasing problem in the area, but you can help us keep our borough clean and make it a safer place to live by reporting it to us.

Report it

We only clear up rubbish, including hazardous waste, that has been dumped on public or council-owned land.

To report illegally dumped rubbish, you need to be signed in to your My Account. If you don’t have one, you can create a My Account.

Report dumped rubbish

If you have evidence that waste has been illegally dumped on public land, and are willing to attend court to help us prosecute the offenders, you can provide this information on the report form. 

Our response time Toggle accordion

We aim to remove the following items from public or council-owned land within 2 working days of the problem being reported to us:

  • refuse bags 
  • bulky or loose material 
  • household appliances (fridges, freezers, cookers, washing machines) 
  • furniture 
  • carpets 
  • building rubble
  • hazardous waste

Hazardous waste Toggle accordion

Rubbish dumped on private land Toggle accordion

Clearing dumped rubbish from private land is the responsibility of the landowner. If you are responsible for the land or are a private landowner, you must ensure that your land is as secure as possible in order to prevent people from illegally dumping rubbish on it.

Penalties apply if you allow someone to dump rubbish on your land.

Dispose of rubbish responsibly Toggle accordion

There are many ways to safely dispose of your rubbish without breaking the law.

If you’re not sure when your rubbish is collected, you can check your bin collection days.

If the item you’re disposing of is too big for your bin, you should book a bulky waste collection with us or drop it off at one of our recycling centres.

You should consider other ways of getting rid of your unwanted items, such as donating it to charity.

If you give your rubbish to someone else to dispose of you must make sure that person or company has a licence to carry waste. You could be liable for a fine if they don’t.

Website feedback

How can we improve this page? Use our form to tell us about content or broken links.

This form is not for telling us about council service issues, it's only about this webpage. Contact us if you have a comment or complaint.