How your bill is worked out

Council Tax is a locally set tax that is payable on all domestic properties whether they are owned or rented. Your Council Tax is your contribution to the many services the council provides such as schools, roads, libraries, support for the vulnerable and rubbish collection.

Council Tax also pays for the police, the fire service and many other local services.

Valuation bands

All domestic properties are placed in one of eight Tax bands based on the property market value on 1 April 1991.

The valuation of your property is based on certain assumptions, such as:

  • Vacant possession
  • A freehold interest or, if a flat, a 99-year leasehold at a nominal rental
  • The property being in a reasonable state of repair

The value of your property, and the Council Tax band it is in, is assessed by the listing officer of the Valuation Office Agency not the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Details of all bandings for the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham are held in a document called the valuation list. You can check the banding of any property with the Valuation Office Agency.

The band which applies to your property will be shown on your Council Tax bill.

BandRange of valuesBarking and DagenhamGreater London AuthorityTotal Council Tax charge
AUp to and including £40,000£754.55£186.68£941.23
B£40,001 - £52,000£880.31£217.79£1,098.10
C£52,001 - £68,000£1,006.07£248.91£1,254.98
D£68,001 - £88,000£1,131.83£280.02£1,411.85
E£88,001 - £120,000£1,383.34£342.25£1,725.59
F£120,001 - £160,000£1,634.86£404.47£2,039.33
G£160,001 - £320,000£1,886.38£466.70£2,353.08
HMore than £320,000£2,263.65£560.04£2,823.69
% increase from 2016/174.99%1.46%4.27%

Council Tax booklet

2018 to 2019 Council Tax booklet

Your bill

The amount of Council Tax you pay is set each year. The amount you pay is made up of charges from the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and the Greater London Authority.

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay will depend on four main factors:

  1. The tax set by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
  2. The tax set by the Greater London Authority
  3. The valuation band that your property has been placed in
  4. Whether you are entitled to any reductions

Fair processing

London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Council collects, uses and stores your personal data to undertake our functions as a local authority and deliver services to you. The information we collect may be used to better understand your use of our services and assist us in improving our services. This is to ensure we are using public funds in the best way possible.

We may also share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds and law enforcement agencies to prevent or detect fraud or crime. It is our responsibility to ensure that your information is kept safe and processed under the relevant data protection legislation.

We are making changes to our processes to make sure that we meet the requirements of the new Data Protection Bill, which will transfer the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation into UK law.

The new law will strengthen the rights of individuals. To make sure that we continue to handle your personal information in a fair and transparent way, we will be rewriting our current privacy notice which will be available to view by 25 May 2018.

A privacy notice can change from time to time and we recommend that you always check the latest notice before you submit any personal information to us, to make sure that you understand how we manage your information.

It’s not just councils that need to make changes. Every organisation that processes the personal information of EU citizens must comply with the new European Union data protection law. If you have concerns or are interested in knowing more, the Information Commissioner’s Officer (ICO) is the regulator in the UK and will be able to help you.

Council Tax general enquiry

When we send Council Tax bills out to residents, people sometimes have questions about their bills and want us to explain things. We are happy to help and clarify some points about Council Tax.

We want to help you understand Council Tax and how to pay it. The best way to contact us is to use our Council Tax general enquiry form.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have a My Account, you can register for My Account.

Council Tax general enquiry form

Website feedback