Apply for a discount

Full Council Tax is calculated on the basis that at least two adults reside in a property. Find out about different options for Council Tax discounts and disregards.

Single person discount Toggle accordion

If you are the only person over the age of 18 living in your home, you'll be entitled to a single person discount of 25% off your Council Tax.

Apply online

To apply online, you need to be signed in to your My Account. If you don’t have one, you can create a My Account.

Apply by post

You can apply by completing our single person discount form and returning it to the address at the end of the form.

People who are disregarded Toggle accordion

A discount may also be applicable if more than one adult lives in the property but all or some of the adults are not counted (known as ‘disregarded’) for Council Tax purposes.

This means that certain categories of people are disregarded (or not counted) when calculating the number of people resident in a property.

If all except one occupier is disregarded, a discount of 25% will be given on the Council Tax rate.

If all occupiers are disregarded, a discount of 50% will be given.

Disabled relief Toggle accordion

The disabled band reduction scheme

The disabled band reduction scheme ensures that disabled people don't pay more Council Tax because they live in a larger property than they would if they were not disabled.

Having a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction.

If you or someone who lives with you is disabled and your property has been permanently adapted to help with their condition, you may get a reduction in your Council Tax.

Someone is considered a disabled person if their illness or injuries are substantial and unlikely to improve.

Adapted properties

A property is classed as being permanently adapted if:

  • There is a room, other than a bathroom or kitchen, which is used mainly to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • There is a second bathroom or kitchen which is required to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • The disabled person needs to use a wheelchair in the property and there is enough floor space to allow this

You would not necessarily be entitled to this reduction if you have made such changes as:

  • Putting in a stair lift
  • Putting in grip rails or ramp access
  • Putting in movable equipment (such as a commode) or using another lavatory
  • Using a ground floor room as a bedroom

Calculating a disabled band reduction

Disabled reduction is calculated as a band reduction.

For example, a Band D property will be charged at the rate of a Band C property for the period that the reduction is applicable. If the property is currently Band A, the bill will be lowered by 1/9th of a band D charge.

The reduction lasts until the disabled person leaves the address or the adaptations are removed. This reduction does not stop you from receiving any other discount or Council Tax Support.


If you think you may be entitled to disabled reduction, complete the form and return to the address at the end of the form.

Council Tax disabled relief form (PDF, 259 KB)

Council Tax Support Toggle accordion

Council Tax Support is a means-tested support provided by the council to help residents pay their Council Tax. Find out more and check your eligibility.

Unoccupied, unfurnished or uninhabitable properties Toggle accordion

We no longer grant discounts for unoccupied and unfurnished properties under these descriptions:

  1. Empty and unfurnished properties
  2. Second homes
  3. Uninhabitable properties

Property empty for more than 2 years

Once a property has been empty for more than 2 years, we may choose to apply a ‘long-term empty premium’ on the property.

We've set a premium of 50%. This means that the Council Tax rate payable on properties empty for over 2 years is 150%.

Properties being refurbished

If you have a property in a poor state of repair, or which is undergoing substantial refurbishment work, no discount will apply unless the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) deletes the property from the Council Tax list.

The VOA will only do this if the property is derelict and uninhabitable, or if the work is substantial and the property is being rebuilt or structurally altered.

If you would like to get a derelict property removed from the Council Tax valuation list, apply to the Valuation Office Agency.

Job-related accommodation discount Toggle accordion

If you live in job-related accommodation you might qualify for a Council Tax discount.


Job-related accommodation is defined as a property being provided to a person (and married couples, partners, joint owners and tenants) by reason of employment in any of these cases:

  • Where it is necessary for the proper performance of the duties of the employment that the employee should reside in the dwelling
  • Where the dwelling is provided for the better performance of duties and it is customary for employers to provide dwellings to employees
  • Where there is a special threat to the employee’s security, special security arrangements are in force and the employee resides in the dwelling as part of those arrangements

If the property is provided by a company and the employee is a director of that or an associated company, then parts 1 and 2 of the above shall not apply, unless one of these is true:

  • The employment is as a full-time working director
  • The company is non-profit making and does not carry on a trade, nor do its functions consist wholly or mainly in the holding of investments or other property
  • The company is established for charitable purposes only


Council Tax reduction – job-related accommodation form (PDF, 167 KB)

Discretionary Council Tax relief Toggle accordion

Discretionary Council Tax relief is a payment we may make to help with Council Tax payments in exceptional circumstances.

Help with Council Tax

You may be eligible for this reduction if you are experiencing financial hardship due to an unforeseen extreme event. This relief is intended to be a short-term solution to help through your crisis and get you back on track.

In such circumstances, we may exercise our power to grant the reduction in the amount of Council Tax paid for a period no greater than 2 months.


To apply, complete the form and return it with the required evidence.

Discretionary Council Tax relief application form (PDF, 196 KB)

Guidance notes (PDF, 74 KB)

Discretionary Council Tax relief award policy (PDF, 411 KB)

Cabinet report (PDF, 68 KB)

Fair processing Toggle accordion

Fair processing

London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Council collects, uses and stores your personal data to undertake our functions as a local authority and deliver services to you. The information we collect may be used to better understand your use of our services and assist us in improving our services. This is to ensure we are using public funds in the best way possible.

We may also share information provided to us with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds and law enforcement agencies to prevent or detect fraud or crime. It is our responsibility to ensure that your information is kept safe and processed under the relevant data protection legislation.

We are making changes to our processes to make sure that we meet the requirements of the new Data Protection Bill, which will transfer the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation into UK law.

The new law will strengthen the rights of individuals. To make sure that we continue to handle your personal information in a fair and transparent way, we will be rewriting our current privacy notice which will be available to view by 25 May 2018.

A privacy notice can change from time to time and we recommend that you always check the latest notice before you submit any personal information to us, to make sure that you understand how we manage your information.

It’s not just councils that need to make changes. Every organisation that processes the personal information of EU citizens must comply with the new European Union data protection law. If you have concerns or are interested in knowing more, the Information Commissioner’s Officer (ICO) is the regulator in the UK and will be able to help you.

Website feedback