Appeals and refunds

If you make an appeal about your Council Tax bill, valuation band or payments, you must continue to pay Council Tax whilst your appeal is being considered. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

Refunds Toggle accordion

Applying for a refund

If you've overpaid and you'd like to apply for a refund on your Council Tax bill, you can use the joint refund form.

Council Tax - joint refund form (PDF, 113.76 KB)

Appeals against valuation bands Toggle accordion

Your Council Tax band is decided by the Valuation Office Agency.

Appeals must be made to the listing officer at:

Valuation Office Agency

2nd Floor, 1 Francis Grove, Wimbledon, London SW19 4DT
Telephone: 0300 501 501

Valuation bands in England are based on the value of your property on 1 April 1991, not what a property is worth today.

You can only appeal about the banding of your property in the following cases:

  • You are the new Council Tax payer for a property and you disagree with the band. Your appeal must be made within 6 months. If the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again
  • Where the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction in a home’s value
  • Where you start or stop using part of your home to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • Where the listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer

Appeals against Council Tax decisions Toggle accordion

You can appeal against your Council Tax decision if you think that you are not liable to pay Council Tax.

For example, you may think you are not liable because you are not the resident or owner, the property is exempt or we have made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to make an appeal on these grounds, you must first email us so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Website feedback